Tuesday, January 22, 2013

RESOURCES IN OUR BACKYARD

Other than obsessing on databases and archives, I love to read about books and resources on a global level. I then like to see how to connect back to things that are available in our own backyard (the Library’s Collection).  This is what I love about being a librarian; sharing the curious resources we have locally.
I'm a tad nervous about writing in this blog; will I have anything interesting to contribute? Will I become addicted and post too often?   Wait... I have a Facebook account where I post WOW Databases and Amazing Archives and I get maybe 2 or 3 "likes."  These are from my sister, a librarian, and a couple of friends!  However, if I post a picture of my devil dogs, I get between 25-50 "likes!" Can it be that my dogs are more interesting than I am??
Recently I read an article in the NYT (12/2/12) about Maria Popova, editor of Brain Pickings "an online grab bag of eclectic information."  I think she is a really an independent librarian! http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/fashion/maria-popova-has-some-big-ideas.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
I go to her site regularly and Ms. Popova recently wrote an interesting article about the strange history of William Faulkner's only children's book, The Wishing Tree. http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/12/28/william-faulkner-the-wishing-tree/
I don't have time to retell the story, but read this to find out more about it and the curious story of how it came to be published.        
William Faulkner wrote, typed, selected the paper and bound this little volume on February 5, 1927 for his little neighbor. I love the inscription "for his dear friend Victoria on her eighth birthday, Bill he made this book".
It was not until April 8, 1967, that a copy of this story became available to the public.  It first appeared in The Saturday Evening Post, illus. by Jerry Pinkney. Three days later, Random House released a regular edition of this story illustrated by Don Bolognese.  This publication is out of print, but available at the Richmond Public Library at Main, we have three copies in the stacks and one in Special Collections.
We also have the April 8, 1967 copy of white;">Local Libraries with copies of The Wishing Tree include VCU, UR, and RPL.

I love what we have in our backyard!  Come visit your library and discover more interesting stories.

Patty Parks, Librarian
Library Community Services Manager at Main










No comments: