Friday, December 04, 2015

The New York Times 2015 Notable Books List (that we've read) as told by reaction GIFs

The New York Times Notable Books list is out, thus beginning our month-long obsession with "best of 2015" lists. Books make excellent gifts, and they are easy to wrap, so we have compiled a list of the NYT's Notable books that we have read, many of which have been featured on this very blog. Maybe you'll narrow down your holiday shopping list with the help of these reaction GIFs. Imagine seeing these faces around the tree this year:

Me, 3 pages into Beauty is a Wound by Eka Kurniawan, translated by Annie Tucker.


How I felt when I finished reading City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg,
both because it was super good, and super heavy.

My face at the start of Delicious Foods by James Hannaham.

At how great Dragonfish by Vu Tran was.

How I felt after part II of Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff.

How I felt reading the first half of The First Bad Man by Miranda July...

And how I felt after the second half of The First Bad Man by Miranda July.

That feeling you get reading The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma.

How I felt when How to be Both by Ali Smith was done and there wasn't any left to read.

How I felt at literally every page turn of A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.

Me, to people trying to talk to me while I was reading Loving Day by Mat Johnson.

When I heard that the The Meursault Investigation by ­Kamel Daoud was coming out.

When I realized I was reading Mislaid By Nell Zink anyway even though I hated Wallcreeper.

While listening to H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald on audio.

How I felt about every character in Purity by Jonathan Franzen.

Me, every time I recommend The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen.

How I feel like I was supposed to feel about Outline by Rachel Cusk
Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

My Wishlist from the "Notables", in case you're wondering...

FOR MEEEE?
The Argonauts, by Maggie Nelson

The Folded Clock: A Diary, by Heidi ­Julavits

Guantanamo Diary, by Mohamedou Ould Slahi

Hunger Makes me a Modern Girl: A Memoir, by Carrie Brownstein


The Monopolists: Obsession, Fury, and the Scandal Behind the World’s Favorite Board Game, by Mary Pilon

The Door, by Magda Szabo

God Help the Child by Toni Morrison

The Incarnations by Susan Barker

Submission by Michel Houellebecq

The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories by Anthony Marra

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, this MADE our "bookish" night at Post Bellum. Brilliant. Wish you were here!

Ellen & Beth

Natalie D Librarian said...

*gasp* you went without me! ;)